Climate Change in My Life

 Climate change has had slowly creeping changes that differ in intensity and effect across the globe for decades. Even in Wisconsin we can feel some subtle, and some conspicuous changes.

An event that immediately comes to my mind is the string of unusually hot days across Madison in April this year (2023).  I believe I remember temperatures shooting through the 70's (Fahrenheit) on their way to 80 degrees Fahrenheit in the second week of April. According to 58 News from that time period, a local Wisconsin broadcaster, the highest temperature of that week was forecast to be 80 degrees Fahrenheit, which would set a new record (1 degree higher than the previous record for Milwaukee). The National Weather Service reported that Appleton, Manitowoc, Oshkosh, and Green Bay all had record breaking highs that week, from 85-86 degrees Fahrenheit, and 87 degrees Fahrenheit in the Wisconsin Rapids. 


image: Record of number of days in April that had temperatures above 70 degrees Fahrenheit in Milwaukee


According to PBS Wisconsin,  winter has been found to be the fastest warming season in the state, with the Northwest of the state warming by an average of 6 degrees Fahrenheit and the South by 5 degrees during the winter months.

While similar events of extreme temperatures are recorded occasionally, the time between those extreme events is shortening slightly. In addition, heavy snowfalls turning into rain and frozen rain may be increasing, as warmer weather brings in more evaporated water to fall as precipitate. This warmer water within the air also makes it difficult for cold fronts to push through. This effect can be worsened by our proximity to Lake Michigan. 

These kinds of events seem noticeable to me as well most of the people around me. It could just be confirmation or hindsight bias, but it is difficult not to think of climate change during these events, and the consistent recordings are hard not to notice. Sometimes it feels hotter, more humid, drier, darker, colder than usual. Even this week I feel like it's been drier here in Madison than in the previous 3 years I've lived here. The grass has been dry and crispy throughout town here in Madison and in Janesville for the past few weeks. I have to wonder if it's an exacerbated effect of a normal cycle.

Furthermore, it's difficult not to feel a bit scared for the future. Growing up in an age of climate anxiety has been stressful as someone who cares about these things; the environment, ecosystems, the future of mine and societies lifestyles. It often makes me feel hopeless and anxious about the future. I feel scared about watching ecosystems degrade before my very eyes and there's nothing I can do about it. It's even worse considering that these things aren't contained in a bubble -- they will effect me and my loved ones too. Crops will increase in price, food gets even more expensive, water too. Risk of disease is also a huge concern. Despite this fear, I try my best to hold out hope for a brighter future because I believe that if we don't have hope, there is no potential for change. I'll still try my best to recycle, to reduce my consumption, to take my bike when I can, to eat local produce, and to make my voice heard to the ones with the power to make bigger changes.

Last, I'd like to say that this course has brought many ecological issues and conservation methods to my attention. I think the most notable and new to me that I will carry with me to my career in conservation is water system management. Especially shocking to me is the data showing reduction in cold-water habitats! It's something that I had not carried too much interest in and therefore I would pay least amount of attention on issues affecting water. But through this course, I got a glimpse into just how essential water system conservation is. It put into perspective how much these issues effect the other things that I care about in terrestrial habitats, like prairies and forests. Overall I learned a lot from this course that I will definitely be expanding on with my own studies and moving forward in my conservation career, thank you Michael!



Comments

  1. Hi Lissa!
    I agree about your point of finding it hard not to be scared of the future. The more I learn about climate change and the more I learn about the environment (and all the intrinsic value in it) the more I'm sad and scared. Especially how you mentioned being afraid for your loved ones as well, that's one of the hardest parts for sure. I also like trout now! Wouldn't it be so fun to go fly fishing! (but in an environmentally healthy and cautious way).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for talking about climate anxiety and grief! It's something that I have struggled with throughout my studies and it is not talked about enough. It is so difficult to have any hope for our future, but reading this post reminded me that I'm not alone in those feelings. I wonder if there will be classes taught about the subject in the future or more resources for students and others in the environmental world to cope with these big emotions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment