Weather Changes Around Me

    During my year and a half living in Madison, Wisconsin, I experienced two winters. It was evident to me that the winter of 2023 was not as cold as the winter of 2022. In January 2022, I transferred to Madison, and I vividly remember that it would snow frequently during that month. The temperatures would often range from -13 to -15 degrees Fahrenheit, accompanied by strong winds. January is always the coldest time in Madison, and this year I didn't feel the cold air as strongly. Weather Spark's records show January temperatures in Madison in 2023 to be about 14-28 degrees Fahrenheit; About 2 degrees Fahrenheit higher than in 2022 (Weather Spark, 2023)(1).


Temperature statistics in Wisconsin from Weather Spark.


    I believe global warming is a major factor. Trends in global climate change show that the Earth's average temperature has continued to rise over the past few decades. Global climate change can lead to warmer winter temperatures in Wisconsin. Due to human activities, a significant amount of greenhouse gases is being released into the atmosphere. These greenhouse gases form a layer of insulation in the atmosphere, preventing some of the heat from escaping back into space. As a result, the average temperature of the Earth, including winter in Wisconsin, is increasing.


    Secondly, warmer winter temperatures can lead to less snow cover on the ground. Snow has the ability to reflect solar radiation, and when there is less snow, the surface absorbs more solar radiation, further increasing the temperature. This positive feedback loop can accelerate winter warming. I noticed a significant change in the way many students dressed during winter. In the winter of 2022, most students on the streets were wearing knit hats, gloves, and long puffer jackets. However, in the winter of 2023, I even saw many people wearing just jackets, leggings, or, in some cases, short sleeves.


    I visit Calabasas, CA to see my family multiple times every year. This summer, I've noticed that it seems like the summer in Calabasas is arriving later than usual. Typically, in June and July, the weather in Calabasas is sunny and bright. However, this year, there have been more cloudy and rainy days. My family has also expressed the same sentiment. Usually, during our summer vacations, we spend most of our time relaxing at the beach in Malibu. But this year, Malibu has been covered in clouds. As a result, we have been going to the beach less frequently.

Shot in Malibu, June 2020.


Shot in Malibu, June 2023.


    For this class, I was most interested in invasive species. Not only did the students share invasive species in their area on iNaturalist, but they also learned about invasive fish and plants, and animals in Wisconsin in class. iNaturalist is a useful application that I will probably continue to use out of class as well. Not only can it tell us about species found by people nearby, but we can also use it as software to identify species IDs.



1. https://weatherspark.com/countries/US/WI

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your perspective of the changes in weather patterns that you notice in Calabasas and Malibu, I wonder if the days where it isn't cloudy are unusually hot. Also, I found this past winter to be a bit mild as well, especially compared to the winter of 2021 when I lived here. It was so bitterly cold, going outside would hurt my eyes, so I wore goggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in Madison 4 years now and I completely agree that this winter wasn't nearly as bad as last year, but my freshman year was even worse. During that winter a polar vortex rolled through and it got down to at least negative 30 with the wind. It was the only time I have ever had classes cancelled while here. Although that was just a week of that winter, it has been pretty evident during my time here that the winters have gotten warmer. Not to say they aren't still brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed the winter differences in Wisconsin as well! I remember my first winter in 2021 was freezing. The past couple of years haven't been that bad. I'm from California near Calabasas so I wrote about that too. The weather has been horrible! To answer Lissa's question about the weather when it's not cloudy, no it has not been unusually hot without the clouds. It is relatively normal for summer if not cooler.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment