Climate Change in Southern California


Personally, I am terrified of climate change. I feel like I hear about how the world is ending due to climate change every day, but I rarely hear about any changes being made. I honestly worry we are too set in our ways to make necessary changes. Sometimes I think it’s pointless to try if no one else does. How am I individually supposed to change our public transportation issues? Or how am I supposed to fix sprawling and promote walking? Despite my pessimism about climate change, I do recognize the people working hard to make amends. I will give credit where credit is due. Their efforts are not going unnoticed. Unfortunately, the people that really need to notice them, policymakers, seem to turn a blind eye.

I have definitely seen the effects of climate change where I live. I am from Los Angeles which is in Southern California. Southern California is known for its year-round warm weather and sunny skies, especially in the summer. I can only remember a handful of times growing up when it wasn’t sunny the entire day from June to September. A few clouds in the morning were normal from the marine layer, but it was an anomaly if it rained. This year it has been cloudy every single day since I have been home. The temperatures have also been way cooler than usual around somewhere in the mid to upper sixties. Everyone here has noticed the bad weather, and no one is happy. It’s all anyone can talk about because it makes everyone depressed. We have been spoiled too long so no one was ready mentally or physically for the lack of vitamin D. I guess June gloom is normal, but we joke that it isn’t what we pay such high taxes for!

Text Box: My dog Mahoney in front of the gloomy sky, midafternoon.


                                          My dog Mahoney in front of the gloomy sky, midafternoon. 

Talking about climate change inspired me to do a deep dive into its effects on where I live. Apparently, what I have been experiencing is different than what experts say is happening. Research has shown that climate change has increased the temperature in Southern California. Since the beginning of the 20th century, California’s overall temperature has increased by three degrees Fahrenheit (2). It is losing the Mediterranean climate it used to have and becoming dryer. I guess I have noticed the lack of rain as we are in a constant drought, but this year El Nino hit which caused downpours (1).



I think the most important thing I have learned from this course is how humans have created most of the ecological issues. There are so many things we are causing directly and indirectly that I have never thought about. For instance, I had no idea the algal overgrowth in the Yahara lakes is from both agricultural and urban runoff encouraged by humans. I also didn’t know part of the reason the deer population is thriving is because we created great habitat conditions for them. Learning about our implications has made me introspective on what I do to instigate ecological issues. For example, there are many places I have driven to that are very walkable. This course has taught me to be more reflective and given me many ideas about how I can individually mitigate ecological problems.


Chenney, Alex. “NOAA Predicts Summer in SoCal Will Be Much Hotter.” ABC7 Los Angeles, 25 May 2023, abc7.com/heat-summer-2023-southern-california-heatwave/13296471/.

Kunkel, K.E. “State Climate Summaries 2022.” National Centers for Environmental Information, 1 Jan. 1970, statesummaries.ncics.org/chapter/ca/.

Oakley, Nina. “California Climate Data Archive.” CalClim, calclim.dri.edu/. Accessed 18 June 2023.

Comments

  1. Hi Aidan,

    It was great to learn about your experience with climate in California as it is such a different one from my experience year round in Wisconsin. It was sad to learn about the differences in weather happening and I agree it is so interesting to learn about the ways humans affect their environment and how much we need to make changes if we are going to fix these problems. It is great to reflect on everything we do and how we can encourage positive change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's understandable to feel terrified about climate change, especially when it feels like the necessary changes are not being made or noticed by policymakers. It's also interesting to hear about the climate change effects you have observed in your hometown of Los Angeles. Climate change can have diverse impacts in different regions, and it's essential to understand the local manifestations of climate change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am often frustrated by constantly being told to take individual actions like recycling and reducing my use of plastic straws when in reality the scale of changes needed to keep the planet under the 2 degrees C warming threshold is way beyond any one choice that I make, and the people in power who can actually make a difference are choosing otherwise. I agree that it is important to evaluate our own lifestyles and make necessary changes, and to demand more of those who can make large-scale change happen -- both things can be true!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment